In this course, you will learn the steps in writing an academic essay. You will look closely at poverty as you research and develop a cause and effect essay. You will learn about summary writing and how to use direct quotations. But most important, you will learn how to use English to express your ideas and opinions.
If you are an intermediate, non-native speakers of English planning to attend a university in the United States and need to master academic reading and writing skills, then this course is for you.
Lessons include short video presentations, authentic reading passages, downloadable handouts, interactive quizzes, and graded assignments.
While there are many concepts we can introduce in a college writing course, we have chosen to focus on the following:
- Learning the steps in academic writing
- Using in-text citations
- Distinguishing the difference between facts and myths
- Building cohesion and coherence
- Understanding and using effective academic language
- Using gerunds and infinitives to express ideas
- Understanding and using prepositional collocations to express causes and effects